"A Place to Belong"
Who doesn’t need “a place to belong?” But not everyone has that place. There are many women and men in the Twin Cities metropolitan area who have lost the support of family and friends and have few places to turn. It was this realization that inspired Rose Tillemans, a sister of St. Joseph of Carondelet, to establish Peace House Community in the Phillips neighborhood of Minneapolis in 1985.
Peace House Community is a weekday gathering place for economically challenged and marginalized women and men who are seeking companionship, safety from the streets, conversation, and personal affirmation. PHC is a place of mutual sharing, respectful listening and appreciation of each person's value and worth.
PHC achieves its mission by
- Offering meditations and celebrations that nourish the souls of our community members;
- Providing nutritional breakfasts and lunches that nourish the bodies of our community members, and
- Offering a safe environment away from the harshness of street life.
Peace House Community and other key partners are a united community where economically challenged and marginalized women and men are welcomed, respected and safe
Our Guiding Principles
The following guiding principles enable us to create an atmosphere of cooperation and fairness:
- Respect the uniqueness of others' spiritual paths.
- Ensure all voices are heard; respect the diversity of opinions.
- Listen with an open mind to the thoughts of others and have the wisdom to learn from all.
- Practice non-violence through self-restraint, encouraging words, compassionate actions and respectful listening.
- Remain calm while others around us may be agitated and irritable.
- Accept difficult situations with grace and serenity as we work towards conflict resolution.
- Utilize patience and maturity to hear all ideas and come to a responsible conclusion or decision.
Serve a light breakfast from 10:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Doors close from 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM for Meditation and Lunch
Meditation from 11:30 AM - 12: 15 PM
A home cooked lunch is served from 12:15 PM to 1:00 PM